NEWS AND INSIGHTS UPDATE:
Most people are afraid to speak in front of an audience, but it’s a fear you can overcome. If you want to move into a business leadership role, you need to get over the fear of public speaking. Marcy Twete of Career Network Girls shares six tips to command a room:
- Practice, practice practice!
- Use a prop to give you something to do with your hands.
- Stick to the bullets rather than reading word-for-word statements. Don’t read from a script. Instead, speak naturally.
- To feel less intimidated, talk to specific people rather than trying to speak to everyone in the room at the same time. Make eye contact.
- Move around. It makes you seem more natural to your audience and can reduce your anxiety.
- Speak often. The more frequently you speak in front of audiences, the more comfortable you’ll feel.
As a public speaker, I agree with all of Marcy’s tips. Practice is essential and believe it or not, walking around the room does make it easier!
What are your top public speaking tips? Leave a comment and share.
Get the details: Public Speaking for Career Girls via careergirlnetwork.com