Most people who have had the chance to work from home will agree that telecommuting increases their productivity levels and reduces their stress. An infographic from CarInsurance.org (shown below) highlights a number of different ways that providing telecommuting options to employees can improve not just employees’ performance and job satisfaction but also the company’s performance.
For example, the infographic asks a question, “What if the 86% of Americans who report that they drive to work started to telecommute 50% of the time?” Here are some of the things that would change if that scenario became a reality:
- Oil saved: One-third of America’s yearly Persian Gulf imports.
- Greenhouse gas: Reduction equivalent to the entire workforce of New York State never commuting again.
- Employee time: 109 hours per year of commute time for the typical worker.
- Employee stress: 23% reduction in stress levels for telecommuting employees.
- Productivity: 10-20% increase in productivity levels for employees who work from home.