“The secret to individual and organizational success hinges on our ability to do good. Doing good means creating value for others.”
That insightful quote comes from leadership expert Irene Becker of Just Coach It, and those are words to live by in our personal lives and our professional lives.
Irene explains that “doing good” embodies a variety of parts and pieces. We must learn to adapt, collaborate, be agile, and protect the fundamental values of sustainability. Furthermore, we must find purpose in what we do in life and in business. Together, these elements lead to success.
Specifically, Irene offers six reasons why doing good is imperative for individuals and organizations, which are highlighted below:
- Purpose equals profit on many levels.
- If we cannot reset ourselves and lead forward, we will fall backwards.
- We cannot allow ourselves to become catalysts of negativity, envy, and jealousy, because doing so prevents us from using our own power to do something of value.
- Every small change that focuses on doing good has a ripple effect for business and society.
- Individuals have the power to make positive differences, and leaders have the power to build the social, economic, and intellectual capital that drives positive change. In fact, leaders have a responsibility to drive those positive changes.
Irene writes, “Corporate cultures are ailing; many are slowly dying as the focus on layers of bureaucracy that dim the human spirit makes finding meaning, value and purpose at work difficult for far too many.” Leaders must challenge themselves to change that culture.
Can you be the kind of leader that brightens the human spirit rather than dimming it? Do you enable your employees to find meaning, value, and purpose in their professional lives? To be a good leader, you should be able to answer both of the previous questions with a resounding, “Yes.”
You can follow the link to read Irene’s complete article, Leadership Means Doing Good in the World. It’s filled with details and information to get you thinking and to motivate you to begin transforming your leadership style.