Joan Stewart wrote a great article for WomenCorp called “Joan’s Top 10 Tips for Free Publicity.” Female entrepreneurs have a tendency to undervalue the work they do as newsworthy. Instead, why not assume that everything you do in your business is worthy of publicity.
In terms of word-of-mouth marketing, the key step to generating a buzz is to ask for it by jump-starting the process. Joan’s publicity tips leverage the “ask for it” theory by empowering you, the business owner, to seek your own publicity opportunities.
Following are a few of Joan’s suggestions to get free publicity:
- Send news releases about your products, services, promotions and more to the media and post them where people can find them
- Write how-to articles for print and online publications
- Get onto the speaking circuit.
- Create a website and fill it with information to promote your business.
- Write an ezine or newsletter.
- Get to know reporters.
- Start your own TV show on your local cable company’s public access channel.
- Look for photo opportunities and call the media with your ideas or submit your own photos.
- Write a blog and comment on other blogs.
- Participate in online discussion groups.
Check out Joan’s complete article about 10 tips for free publicity to learn more about how you can use her tips to jumpstart your own PR campaigns.
Can you think of any other tips to add to this list?
Tags: publicity tips, free publicity, public relations, women in business, businesswomen, female entrepreneurs, women on business