Oprah Winfrey is without a doubt the most successful female in the USA and possibly in the world right now. But what can we learn from her?
- Persistence. Oprah grew up extremely poor in rural Mississippi. She was born into absolutely nothing. She was actually raised on welfare. As of September 2009, her net worth is more than $2.3 billion US dollars. She did not let anybody tell her that she could not do what she wanted to do. She kept trying and took advantage of any opportunities afforded her.
- Finding a voice. Through her talk show mainly, Oprah has managed to build a reputation as a caring person who focuses on self-improvement and the truth. Her “brand” is so powerful that she’s influenced Texas beef sales and the US presidency in 2008.
- Continue to battle against personal demons. Oprah’s public battle with weight has shown that although she does at time gain weight, she continues to struggle to keep her weight down. What does this say to everybody else? That even the most successful female in the USA is not perfect. She is human like the rest of us. If she can be so successful and still have personal tribulations then there’s hope for the rest of us. Don’t let personal issues keep you from being successful.
- Once you have a franchise going, keep going. Oprah might have started with a talk show but she did not stop there. Two magazines and a website are other avenues she has to influence people. Her charity, Oprah’s Angel Network, has earned over 51 million US dollars to support charities and non-profit organizations helping the underprivileged. Wonder when she is going to put out a music album?
- Keep good people around. One person could not do everything that Oprah has managed to do over the years. Keep good people around who support you and do what you tell them to do how you want it done. Delegate what you can. Help build up those that work with and for you. Do not keep people around who sabotage your goals.
- Do Good Works. Sure, it might be easier to be generous when you are that rich but admittedly, other rich people exist who don’t try to make a difference with their money. Certainly, not everybody can fund a new public school for 151 schoolchildren in Africa. We can all, however, take our cue from her generosity and try to give or do as much as we can in our lives, even something as simple as using a charity credit card, can give money everytime to the needy without you even realising!