In his new book Accelerate: Building Strategic Agility for a Faster-Moving World, John Kotter proposes a dual system as a model for growth in mature companies. The model contains the traditional hierarchy and a nimble network – both are working towards a truly reliable, efficient, agile and fast enterprise.
Kotter describes a dual operating system’s principles as follows:
- Many people driving important change
- A “get-to” mindset not a “have-to” mindset
- Action that is head and heart driven
- More leadership not just more management
- An inseparable partnership between the hierarchy and the network
He describes in detail a number of real-life examples that include both challenges and successes. For example, the idea of strategic “fitness” and strategy as a dynamic force being a constant rather than yearly exercise is fitting for the 21st century organization.
This book is about pioneers and is for pioneers – well worth your time.
What business books are you currently reading? Share your recommendations in the comments below.