NEWS AND INSIGHTS UPDATE:
No matter what age you are, it’s challenging to switch to a completely new career. However, more people are “recareering” every day. Amanda Augustine of TheLadders offers seven tips to jump start your encore career:
- Identify your key selling points. Think about the key strengths and skills that made you successful in your professional career, and explore opportunities where you think they could be applied.
- Once you’ve chosen an area to pursue, it’s important to immerse yourself in industry news and terminology.
- Join professional groups online and offline to gain valuable insight into the market and uncover potential opportunities.
- Look for volunteer and internship opportunities in your chosen area so you can add industry-related experience to your work history and make new connections.
- Stay current with technology.
- Show your energy and passion.
- Be patient. The average American in an encore career takes 18 months to make the transition, and 67 percent of those folks had reduced or zero income during that transition period.
Get the details: Over 50 and Still in the Job Market – What’s Your Next Career Move? via info.theladders.com