Post by Amy Blais, contributing Women On Business writer
At the WPEO, we get a lot of questions from WBEs about social media. Mainly, women business owners are asking how to use social media to advance their business. If you haven’t already started engaging in the social media trend, now is the time. Social media sites can be used as a low cost marketing tool to reach customers, build your brand, and network with potential clients. All of the choices of social media sites may seem overwhelming, but here is a quick explanation of the social media world a few of the most useful sites for businesses.
What is social networking?
Social networking is the grouping of individuals into specific groups, or subdivisions, usually in online communities. It is a way for the millions of people on the internet to connect to others and develop friendships, as well as business relationships.
What do social networking sites allow you to do?
You may connect to people you know, knew in the past, or even want to meet by looking at their profile pages and then contacting them if you wish. You can also control privacy settings to monitor who sees your profile.
Popular Social Networking and Social Media Sites
- LinkedIn: online network of more than 25 million experienced professionals from around the world, connecting to find potential clients and business opportunities, post job listings and more.
- Facebook: a social utility that connects people with friends and others who work and live around them. You can keep up with friends, upload pictures, share links, and meet new people.
- Blogs: a site where you can post thoughts, interact with people, and get feedback from people about the things you write. Start your own blog by going to Blogger.com, or try guest blogging on other blogs.
- Twitter: a free social networking and micro-blogging service that allows users to send and read other users’ updates. You can receive updates from specific people that you sign up for.
- YouTube: a site to upload and share videos for free.