NEWS AND INSIGHTS UPDATE:
The WomenCorporateDirectors (WCD) Global Nominating Commission’s Call to Action (part of the organization’s “Best Practices for Director Selection and Development” report released this month) offers a 10-point action plan to increase the number of women on corporate boards.
The goal of the WCD Global Nominating Commission is explained on the WCD website as follows:
“The goal of this select group of board nominating committee chairs and members from around the world is to work with Fortune 500, FTSE 100, and other top companies to increase diversity on their boards, leading to world-class boards that are multi-gender, multi-skilled, multi-national, multi-ethnic, and multi-generational.
“If each of us takes action there will not only be more qualified women on corporate and large privately held boards, but they will make a difference around the table, in the world and for the world.”
With that goal in mind, the following 10 points make up the action plan created by the WCD Global Nominating Commission (you can get all of the details here):
- Build the pipeline through advocacy and mentorship.
- Assure every director slate includes at least one woman.
- Declare board diversity a necessary component of good governance.
- Turn CEOs into champions and change agents.
- Expand the pool.
- Provide specific board training.
- Sponsor more research.
- Report and write about the issue.
- Refer women to board seats.
- Exercise all your rights as a shareholder.
Get the details: WCD Global Nominating Commission Plan of Action via www.womencorporatedirectors.com